Nothing beats the power of a urine smell on a couch especially if it wasn’t taken care of immediately. Well, as a homeowner, it’s important to note that taking care of any mess on your couch as soon as it happens is very important.
Leaving a stain or any form of dirt on your couch will make it difficult to clean later. You might even need to call a professional cleaner to deal with it, something you would have otherwise done yourself with home remedies.
While normal dirt may not cause intense odor as urine smell, they both are uncomfortable especially if you are a person of impromptu guests. You really wouldn’t be at peace if a guest popped in and finds your house stinking right? Right!
Intentional or Not?
Kids and pets love playing around the house and a couch or sectional seems to be the perfect spot for them.
If you are a homeowner with kids and pets, it is normal if once in a while you find your couch smelling of pee, well sometimes it’s hard to control them and the only option left is to always watch them out, or be there to take care of a mess immediately they cause one.
Ideally, you can look for practical and functional couch covers as they do come in handy in such circumstances. They are easy to take care of and will definitely make your sofa or sectional free from odors and any form of dirt.
How to Get Rid of the Urine Smell Out of a Couch?
As a homeowner, it’s important to note that when urine stays for a longer period on any type of furniture, it would be very difficult to get rid of it as compared to when it is being taken care of immediately.
Here is what you will need to get rid of urine smell immediately it happens
- Soda Crystals
- Vacuum cleaner
- Sprinkle a generous amount of soda crystals on the affected area only. Don’t clean the unaffected area to avoid doing too much work. (but its ok to do the whole sofa if you have time)
- Let it stay for about 30 minutes. The longer you let the baking soda sit the easier it will be to get rid of the smell.
- As you wait for the 30 minutes to go by, it’s important to note that soda crystals do not disinfect but get rid of odors.
- After the 30 or so minutes, vacuum up the soda crystals and voila! Goodbye to the pee smell.
- This method has worked for me almost every time I have tried it and the results were positive. If it fails for you try this other remedies below.
Here is what you should do when the urine smell has overstayed on your couch.
- Warm water
- Baking soda
- Dish soap
- Rubbing alcohol
- Fill a spray bottle with warm water and add a generous amount of vinegar and mild dish soap.
- Spray the solution generously on the area with pee smell on your couch. This will help make the affected area wet enough for baking soda to spread to every corner of the sofa with pee smell.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda on the area with pee smell. Baking soda is very good with odor.
- With a sponge, rub the area gently for baking soda to reach every corner of the smell and let it stay for about 30 minutes. By this time all the odor should be no more.
- Vacuum up the area to remove the excess baking soda. Vacuuming will also help disinfect your sofa.
- If the smell is still there, spray a generous amount of rubbing alcohol on the area and let sit for at least 10 minutes. You might have to open up the windows because of the strong smell of alcohol.
- Vacuum up after the 10 minutes’ elapses and your couch will smell fresh free from any form of smell, pet’s or kid’s.
- Repeat the process if the first procedure fails.
- If this method fails completely, then you might need to call a professional cleaner.
If your couch has removable cushions, then taking care of the urine smell that has overstayed on your couch can be easier.
You can choose to soak the cushion covers in cold water with vinegar for about 6 hours or more if the stain overstayed for long.
After 6 hours, you can machine wash and dry for use immediately. This method may take some time but it definitely works magic.
What to Do Before Cleaning a Couch with a Pee Smell?
There are mistakes that you may have to avoid when it comes to cleaning a couch. So, before cleaning one, check carefully what the tag on your couch says.
If your couch has a “W” sign, that means you will have to wash it with a water-based solution. If the tag has an “S” sign, that means you will need to use a solvent-based solution. If the tag says “S/W”, then it’s ok to use both water and solvent-based solutions.
However, there is one important tag that you wouldn’t want to mess with. An “X” sign usually cautions you on using any cleaning solutions not even a fabric softener, you just need to dry clean your couch.